I love a little bit of ‘quirk’. In fact, I like a bloody good dose of ‘quirkiness’ that is enough to cross over that boundary line and consequently become completely timeless in style. I also love to make my wardrobe work harder, a lot bloody harder than any of my muscle groups! When we buy and invest in something to go into the wardrobe, then I believe it’s always a shame to see pieces classified to just one season. It’s sad to designate a piece to just a three-month window in your closet calendar. I reckon by granting pieces some extra mileage on the outfit front, then we are waving that glittery magic wand over all possibilities of slowing fashion down and checking off those ‘cost-per-wear’ boxes. All hail the sock and sandal moment! and I know what you may be thinking here, so bear with me!
I’m a firm believer that the less pieces you have in your wardrobe, then the more creativity it sparks in you, conjuring up some serious killer outfits. Open up your closet -are you faced with a Mount Everest equivalent of this months High Street key pieces? Or are you faced with making that step into some seriously cool ‘quirky’ territory that is welcomed with open arms and a big applaud from me. You see I bloody love to see people embracing some eccentricity and individual style. I love to see people wearing their clothes on repeat but in a variety of outfits. I simply love a cool combo that oozes self-confidence and the right to own the shiny gold badge declaring “I f*cking own MY style”!! In all fairness, I think a few of us would agree that it can take a few years of wisdom to own this badge. But hey, who cares what age you are when you achieve the right to own this golden kick-ass style badge? The main thing, is that you worked for it, earned it and bloody got it! Hurrah!!
Ok, so back to the point of embracing the quirk. Obviously I’m a British birdie and obviously it’s in my birth right to be a little bonkers along with the ability to make THE best cup of tea or G&T!! But I feel I owe it to my ancestors to be frugal, to be creative, to make something out of nothing and to dress with that English eccentricity that any red route master bus would be proud of. As Emma Watson, said it best “There’s nothing interesting about looking perfect – you lose the point. You want what you’re wearing to say something about you. About who you are”.
So, “what are you banging on about Flic?”, I hear you cry! Well, please provide a fanfare for a current wardrobe mileage extender – the sock and sandal combo!!
Yep, I know this sounds dodgy, but keep scrolling down this post, as I reckon I have a chance at winning over your style heart too! I embraced the sock and sandal team this summer following a craving for colour. You see, at the moment I really fancy adding a bit of colour to my wardrobe. I tend to go through style phases and I’m currently leaving the French Vogue editor look, since I’m neither french, skinny or have any chance at hanging out with Isabel Marant whilst simultaneously managing the French Vogue Office. FYI, the only thing I WAS good at was eating croissants! It s true talent of mine!
Oh well, bring on the new. A spot of wardrobe colour. But without wanting to spend my weekly household budget on a new Joseph Technicolor dream coat for myself, I’ve tried a few sneaky frugal tricks to slip colour into my existing wardrobe. Starting off with some sock and sandal action.
The S&S style rule
- Ok, they have to be fine textured socks, preferably 20 denier – no big sporty thick towelling ones!
- They work best in bright colours or textures. They work magnificently as a fishnet.
- They truly only team up well with a heeled sandal. The heel can be a fine stiletto point or anything in between to a thick wooden clog heel.
How I style my S&S moments
This is a ‘real life with kids’ photo below! So for this day I was sporting a ton of dry shampoo and a life saving hair wrap! Some comfy effortless denim + tee basics thrown together with some pink fishnet socks + my mighty 7-year-old Swedish Hasbeen clog sandals – now please feel free to applaud the water stains that spilt from my sons water bottle and naturally fell onto my beloved sandals. Some days, eh? you just can’t win ’em! WTF
Without doubt, one of my fave and most worn summer wardrobe items are my denim shorts. It can get crazy hot in Ottawa and by wearing my denim shorts, I always achieve feeling that essence of ‘me’ despite my crazy hair from insane humidity! I just shove it up in a hair wrap and no one will ever know. Yep, just add a S&S combo and you can add a spring into your step!
Here we go peeps, my arguments for giving your sock and sandal team a little more love are:
The benefits behind S&S moments
- When you pop on some little socks with new sandals then you get to break in those new strappy beauts ready for their future barefoot adventures! A spoonful of style as well as future safety measures, are seriously considered and commended here. Put those socks on!
- Calling all shopaholics – this is some solid gold justification for buying those cute sandals you spied and bought in the summer sale! Bingo – no guilt to be found now. They have become a man for all seasons!
- S&S are the winning double act for those f*cking frustrating Spring or early Autumn days when its freeze your-tits-off cold in the morning but by 3pm it’s turned into a glorious Bahamas boastful day!! Put your socks on in the morning and then whip them off in the afternoon. Bloody genius tactics against morning blue toes or afternoon heavy heat during these dodgy seasonal predicaments! Global warming is clearly a serious worldwide issue but on a lighter personal level, so are my f*cking footwear choices for April and September!
- Typically I would wear sandals in June, July and August, but with a quick hello from a fab coloured sock – then they team up with my Swedish Hasbeens for April and May and possibly a September too. By chucking on some coloured fishnet or nylon socks, I’ve added three more months to match the three more concerned looks I’ll get from my kids! Whatevs!
- A bold, quirky sock and sandal moment adds a look to a simple outfit and collects that ‘statement style’ title!
Eyes on the prize, so where can you get your hands on some perfect little sandal socks?
Head to the high street. I bought mine from Zara last spring but little socks are continuing to appear on the shelves for late summer and early Autumn. Here is a quick sneaky peak at what Topshop have to offer but also check out the likes of H&M, Zara, Urban Outfitters, Asos & New Look have stocked up.
So there we go. Maybe you think I’m nuts or maybe you’re tempted? Hey, it’s all about a bit of fun and expressing your personality in the world of Individual Style!
Thanks for reading.