I’m a big believer in the theory of working the accessories. A simple Tee and skinny jeans can be transformed from drab to fab with the slip of a scarf around your neck or a seriously cool statement belt. My saturday morning ‘go to’ outfit for “We’ve slept in and the kids swimming lessons are in 30 mins” will always see me grabbing for a loose band or vintage Tee and skinny jeans. Throw on a quirky all saints cardigan and a bit of red lippy, then off I dash to the pool hoping the majority of parents don’t spot the bird nest hair or the look on my face that reveals I’m fully aware my knickers are on back to front!!
The Wardrobe Wonder Boot
Once I get home from swimming lessons and settle the boys down to watch a Barclay’s Premiership Football Match on the Telly. It’s time to make myself a much-needed latte and redress the wardrobe malfunctions that have arisen today. So once the knickers are on the right way ’round and the bird nest hair has had a few twigs removed, then I take a look in the mirror and realize what this outfit needs. The soft vintage wash band tee is hitting the spot on the comfort level. The all saints merino wool chunky cardigan is snuggly and warm for this winter weekend along with ticking the ‘quirk’ box with its asymmetric sleeve with drop shoulder seams. The skinny jeans are,
more by luck than judgement, in the clean washing bag, a good dark denim. What else do I need to tip this clobber from the style scales measuring ‘tired mum needs more sleep despite a lie in’ to the more desirable side of the scale declaring ‘effortlessly styled with a touch of cool individuality’??!
Todays accessory star of the season is ……..drum roll…….. the seriously cool ankle boot with its nod to the Mod!
Sam’s the Man!
I absolutely love these boots. They are from my newly discovered line from Sam Edelman, called Circus.This line has a lovely quirky contemporary feel to it. This is the black and white version of the popular Reese boot. I bought them recently online in the boxing week sales, you may have already seen them in my Betty Ford for the Boxing Week Sales post. In fact they are one of the few items I kept from my shopping spree as the credit card statement came through at the beginning of January and it was no longer all fun and games. The return of the returns had to come into play!
Anyway, The Reese boot from the Circus range is a bloody good one. Full marks for being comfy and true to size. I need a pair of weekend ankle boots to be ready for any given action of a weekend day. I would like to think I would potentially be off meeting a friend for lunch and indulging in a mid day aperitif. I am realistically more likely to be driving Kiddlywinks around for their various social engagements that apparently all 6 year olds have! (wtf?!) I need a cool ankle boot to look fab, helping me dash from a birthday party to a soccer game to a play date to the Saturday Sushi restaurant night. Some Saturdays are bonkers in my house!
The Wardrobe Mileage honours
(Top to Bottom)
Bella Freud jumper & J crew pleather skirt
Topshop Boutique stripe jumper & Topshop moto denim skirt
J.Crew cashmere jumper & Topshop Jamie jeans
J.Crew denim jacket & Topshop Jamie jeans
Bella Freud jumper & Topshop Jamie jeans
Hats: Fedora, Bowler, Fisherman cap and slouch beanie
Capsule Contender Roundup
Dear Visa Card Fairies,
You can put those stern looks away, especially since……..
- This boot is like an all season car tire. Great for Spring and Fall, can wear in the Summer, probably can even wear in the Winter but you don’t want to risk it with serious winter conditions. Cue an olympic Torvill and Dean skating moment without any of the grace or choreography.
- Dresses up and down like a dream.
- They are a ‘nod to the Mod’ style. I adore the fabulous monochrome, the pointed toe, the monk strap fastening and the brilliant ankle boot height. When something has a distinct flavour of an era in the past, I believe it gives them an immortal style edge that ensures they are so cool, that they will neither be in or out of style. Love it!
- Small heel height ensures I can run for school buses and the closing doors of the local shop on the ‘desperate for a piece of chocolate cake’ nights.
- Monochrome colours go with EVERYTHING in my wardrobe.
- A Capsule wardrobe winner as this boot goes with jeans, skirts, leather bottoms and dresses. Done and dusted.
- A Sustainable Stitch winner as I will get more than 30 wears out of these boots. In fact, they helped me return two pairs of ‘sale’ ankle boots when they arrived in my clutches. They seem great quality and have that perfect quirkiness that will mean I will always end up reaching for these as opposed to a ‘blah of blahville’ boot instead.
- My January eBay sales said good-bye to a Zara navy coat, a Target faux fur coat and some Gap 1969 real straight jeans. I’d like a round of applause from my bank manager please!
P.S. Visa Card fairy, you know I love you! But please remember I returned the majority of the boxing week sales purchases when judgement time comes round next month and you’re evaluating the UK shopping trips!!